This section contains articles of personal opinion pieces. The language may get a little salty around the blogs, so arm yourselves with talcum powder before reading.

In 2018, seven-year-old Harvey Tyrell was electrocuted in a pub garden. In this article, I'll be speculating on what went wrong and how the electrician who installed the circuit was found by a jury to be not guilty of manslaughter by gross negligence.

The trouble with throwing stones on social media is that one day you might just want to play inside the greenhouse yourself… and your past may come back to bite you hard on the arse.

Every now and again I'm required to put on my thinking (bobble) hat in order to achieve the functionality a client wants. Such was the case here where automatic LED lighting was required on a stairwell necessitating the design of a simple custom controller.

From July 2020, it will become mandatory for landlords in England to have their rented electrical installations assessed for new tenancies, and from April 2021 for existing tenancies. Well, that sounds marvellous doesn’t it? What self-respecting landlord doesn't already ensure the safety of their tenants and of course their own property investment from the dangers of electrical shock or fire? After all, nobody wants an electrocuted rent-paying revenue source or a burned-out building, right?

Working on a job recently with a kitchen fitter I hadn’t met before, I was amazed at his speed and skill; in just over 24 hours, he’d transformed an empty shell of a room with wall units, base cupboards and he was already busy fitting the worktop. There was still a lot to do, but the amount that had been achieved and the quality of the work to that point was quite something. When I remarked upon it, he shrugged his shoulders nonchalantly and told me he’d been doing it for thirty years.